Sunday, September 12, 2010

Viareggio Beach

Viareggio beach with the mountain range in the distance

This morning, we woke up at the crack of dawn (which was difficult after our long day yesterday), hopped on a train, and headed to the beach. We arrived in Viareggio at around 10:00 and walked to our reserved beach spots (I am so glad we decided to go with our school! So many Perks!). This was the most amazing beach I have ever seen! I was laying on my beach chair and could not only see the Mediterranean sea, but the beautiful snow capped mountains in the distance! The weather was PERFECT for laying out, relaxing, swimming in the ocean, and meeting some really great people who also go to our school.
Lots and lots of umbrellas and white sand! 

We laid out in the sun, took a nap, grabbed a burger down the street, swam, then basically repeated everything all over again. The water was so warm but very salty! Definitely not used to that up in Wisconsin! We saw SO MANY speedos! I had no idea they were this big of a trend in Europe! Also, a few topless women (no, we were not at nude beach and yes, it was kind of awkward)! I must say European beaches are much different than any beach in America. This was probably my first taste of real "culture shock"! Although it was a pretty unproductive day, it was a great one! When we went back to get on our train, we found out the conductors and workers were going on strike! We had to sit and wait at the station for an extra hour and almost another 3 hours. It was a strange experience being stranded and pretty helpless, even though they got their act together and put us on a train pretty quick. I had no idea these strikes happened a couple times a week! Who knew the conductors were so greedy!

Happy Birthday Grandma Marie! I just got done skyping with my Grandma, and must say that after seeing the ocean, the mountains, and taking my first European train ride, being able to talk to my family was by far the best part of my day! I hope you all have a great week! Love, Dana :)

No comments:

Post a Comment